House Plants/help

Question
unknow plant
unknow plant  

unknown plant
unknown plant  
do you have any idea with this amazing plant is. It has been in the family for over 20 years. It has lived for 15 years with very little light. when I received it and set out in direct light, not only did it grow, but it produced a beautiful flower. It roots great in soil. produces roots very quick. I find it simply amazing. Please help.

Answer
Hi Driselda,

Your plant is an Epiphyllum oxypetalum, sometimes called Queen of the Night or Night-blooming Cereus.

It is indeed an amazing plant as the flower is quite spectacular, although it only lasts for a single night. Some folks hold evening parties in anticipation of the flower opening up on a particular night.

Apparently, you have had success in caring for your Epiphyllum, so I won't include any care instructions here. However, I have written a detailed article on Epiphyllum care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed