House Plants/janet craig dracaena revival

I am trying to rejuvinate my collegues plant. It took a beating when our building was closed for two week. The plant is sentamental to him! I cut the top stalks,watered, gave a little fertalizer...and I need advice.Very little life left. I put tops in a glass jar with fertalized water in a rootage yet, after 2 weeks. Help please!

Hi Judi,

A photo and/or more detail would be helpful here. I don't know how poor the condition of the plant is or what adverse conditions it suffered.

The top cuttings should nave no more than a half dozen leaves each and a bare stem below the leaves about 4-6 inches in length. The cuttings can be rooted in plain water, but usually root more readily at the base of the original plant or in a small pot filled with a soil-less potting mix. Although some new roots may emerge in about a month, it may take several months for substantial roots to develop. Be patient.

If the roots of the original plant are still healthy, then some new growth should emerge just below the pruning cuts within about a month.

Janet Craigs do best in very bright indirect light, but protected from direct sun light. They also do well under overhead office fluorescent lights if the lights are kept on for 8 hours, 5 days per week.

Fertilizer is intended for healthy plants that are growing vigorously. It is not medicine to be used for ailing plants.

I have written detailed articles on pruning, fertilizing and on Janet Craig care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College