House Plants/Neanthe Bella Palm

Question
Hi!  I have a Neanthe Bella Palm that I am trying to save.  My friend got it in a floral arrangement for her husband's funeral and she didn't water it for about 6 weeks.  It's very, very dry.  I re-potted it in a 6" terra cotta pot, watered it thoroughly, and have it near a north facing window but not in direct sunlight.  I have not purchased fertilizer for it yet but I will.  What kind of fertilizer do you recommend?  And, my main question -- do I need to do anything else to try to save this plant?  It's still green but so very dry and brittle. Thank you for your help!

Answer
Hi Karen,

It is hard to believe that your Parlor Palm is still alive after going six weeks without water! Any fronds that are dry and brittle will probably not recover. Each palm stem has a single growing tip at the top. If that tip remains green and produces new growth, then your plant will survive and gradually recover, eve as the lower fronds die back. But if that growing tip turns brown and dies, then that stem will not ever recover.

North window light is good for a Parlor Palm as long as the window is completely uncovered throughout the daylight hours. Allow the top half-inch of soil to dry before watering thoroughly. It is essential that the pot has drainage holes for any excess water to run through.

Fertilizer is not medicine and is intended for use only on healthy plants that are growing vigorously, so avoid using it on yours. Be very patient, because recovery will be very slow at best.

I have written detailed articles on fertilizing and on Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed