House Plants/poinsettas at window in KY

Question
hi, I have been leaning against a window pane a few poinsettias  left over from the holidays. they do get cold, but I thought sometimes plant stores make some plants last longer in cold storage. is this wise, in current temperatures (sometimes below freezing, such as 20 degrees F outside?
Thx,
G

Answer
Hi Greg,

Although some flowering plants and cut flowers last longer when kept in cold temperatures, Poinsettias are not among them. Poinsettias are semi-tropical plants that should not be subjected to temps below 55 degrees F. Even having foliage or flowers pressed against very cold windows can damage those flowers and leaves.

To prolong flower life, provide lots of bright indirect sunlight and make sure you water as soon as the surface of the soil feels dry. Do NOT fertilize, repot or disturb the roots while your Poinsettias are in bloom.

Contact me if you are interested in getting your plants to re-bloom next holiday season. It is a bit complicated, but it can be done.

I have written a detailed article on Poinsettia care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed