House Plants/Tall Dark Green Prayer Plant with White Blooms

My prayer plant used to have frequent white blooms. It has not had a white bloom in about seven months.  It is in a large pot as it is a large plant. Why is it not blooming?

Hi Robin,

Cultivated Marantas are not noted for their flowering regularity. Often, they do not flower at all and their flowers are not particularly notable or scented. For that reason, many hybrid varieties do not flower at all. Hybridizers focus on the leaf markings as the key characteristic at the expense of the insignificant flowers.

Sometimes Marantas will flower for many months and then go through a rest period during which they do not flower at all. If yours has gone 7 months without flowering, that does not mean it will not flower again. However, it is difficult to predict when it may flower again.

There are several factors that affect flowering. Repotting into a larger pot almost always prevents flowering for a year or more until the plant is moderately potbound once again. Although Marantas do not require a lot of direct sunlight, if the available indirect sunlight is not very bright, then that reduced light will discourage flowering. Proper watering that allows the soil to dry just short of the wilt point will often encourage more flowering.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College