House Plants/Very tall Dracaena sanderiana

Emily\'s Lucky Bamboo
Emily's Lucky Bamboo  
Hi Will,
I've been searching around for how to trim down my lucky bamboo plant. It has been in it's original water container (which now looks too small) for about 4 years and is doing nicely except for brown tips. I keep it on the counter in the bathroom. How can I trim it down and will I be able to save the stalks to grow new? Your help will be much appreciated. Attaching a picture.

Hi Emily,

You have done very well with your Lucky Bamboo. Most do not maintain their healthy green color for as long as 4 years. So don't relocate it or repot it or otherwise change anything other than its height.

Lucky Bamboo stems are themselves cuttings of Dracaena sanderiana that are rooted in water. Thus, you can prune back these stems to a height of your choice and new stem growth will emerge from a point on each stem just below the pruning cuts, and grow upward from there. The pruned off cuttings can also be rooted in water - even in the base of the existing plant, if you choose.

When deciding how much to prune back, consider how tall you would like it to be and then prune a bit lower than that in anticipation of it soon growing taller again. I would suggest pruning back the top third.

Brown leaf tips are common. They will not re-green, so aesthetically it is good to trim off the tips at a sharp angle so they don't look trimmed.

I have written a detailed article on Lucky Bamboo care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College