House Plants/dragon plant

my dragon plant
my dragon plant  
why does my dragon plant look like this?? I mean I repotted it because I thought my friend was going to take it and she never did..then the leaves eventually started falling off and continue to fall off. what should I do? can I rep grow a new one out of it?

Hi Tiffany,

For starters, the pot is much too large for this small Dracaena marginata. With all that extra soil that retains water for too long, root rot is the almost inevitable consequence. Gently remove the plant from the pot and gently remove any soil that is not in direct contact with the roots. Do NOT remove all of the soil. Put the reduced rootball into the smallest pot that is just large enough to hold the roots and enough soil to cover the roots lightly.

Be aware that Marginata roots are very fragile and they often do not survive root rot or repotting.

Light is also a possible problem, although you didn't indicate how much light your plant receives. Marginatas should be right in front of a sunny window that is uncovered throughout the daylight hours.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and on Dracaena marginata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College