House Plants/Housplant-Fiscus not doing well

Question
Hello,
I got a small potted Fiscus for my birthday and once I brought it home I placed it on my kitchen counter next to the window so it could get sun. The leaves dropped after a few weeks so I assumed it was just stress from the move. The Fiscus was bought from an outdoor nusery so my second thought was it needed to be outside. Nothing has worked and after 6 months there are still no leaves and now I have noticed scale bugs. Is my Fiscus beyond repair? Or will some kind of treatment help? The black bumps are litterly everywhere. Also, does an open window effect the growth of a Fiscus?

Answer
Hi Sam,

It is quite common for Ficus tress to shed many leaves whenever they are relocated. If you have moved your Ficus frequently, you may not have given it a chance to adjust. If it has been in the same location for several months and there is no healthy new growth, then there is some problem other than light.

The scale insects are symptomatic of a plant under stress. You have not mentioned anything about repotting or about your watering routine. However, I am making an educated guess that watering is the primary problem. The scale can be treated, but that will not save the plant if the underlying cause is not addressed. Without seeing a clear photo, I cannot say whether your Ficus can survive. If it literally has no leaves at all and all of the stems and branches are dry and brittle, then you can assume the roots are dead and so is the plant.

The open window is not an issue at this time of year.

I have written detailed articles on treating plant pests and on Ficus care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed