House Plants/My Lucky Bamboo

Question
Little black things swimming in my vase of lucky bamboo; are they mosquito larvae? or???? and what should I do?  Is my family safe? Thanks,
Sharon

Answer
Hi Sharon,

There is no way for me to identify what insects you are seeing without actually seeing them. But it really doesn't matter.

Remove the lucky bamboo stems from their container and discard the water in the container. Then, rinse both the container and the plant stems and roots with clear water. That should remove any insect pests or larvae.

If you see any stems or roots that are rotted (soft and mushy), then cut them away and discard them.

Finally, place the Lucky Bamboo cuttings back in the container and fill it with clear water. For the future, it is best to change the water every week or two.

I have written a detailed article on Lucky Bamboo care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

House Plants

Will Creed