House Plants/plant I'd and info

Plant id
Plant id  

Plant I\'d
Plant I'd  
Hello yet again. Could you please I'd this plant and give any info ? Potting soil, types of water to water with , etc. Thanks

Hi Vicky,

Your new plant is a Dracaena reflexa 'Song of India.' It does best in mostly bright indirect light with no more than an hour or two of direct sun each day. The location shown in the photos is a good one.

I cannot see the pot in the photo, but it appears to be in the original pot and is relatively small. This is a GOOD thing! I do not recommend repotting it just because it looks big relative to the size of the plant. Unnecessary repotting is the single most common cause of plant failure.

As with most plants, the soil mix that it was grown in is the best potting mix for it. Song of India is usually grown in a standard potting mix. Again, I caution against repotting it.

Allow the top quarter of the soil to dry in between thorough waterings, until a bit trickles through the drain holes. If the pot has no drain holes, then post a photo that shows the pot and I will tell you how to accommodate this problem. Use tap water unless your tap water is on the hard side or has been artificially softened. In that case, use filtered or distilled water.

Fertilize sparingly at half strength no more than once per month.

Eventually, this plant will grow tall and a bit leggy. The best solution is to prune back leggy stems by about half, as needed. Pruning will keep it full and compact, as it is now. Your best bet is to trey to maintain its appearance as it is now rather than trying to make it grow as big as possible. Size is not an indicator of success with plants.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and pruning that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College