House Plants/Ponytail Palm

Question
I read one of your answers regarding my Ponytail Palm but now am wondering if it requires or appreciates any special type of plant food.  I found out recently that some of my plants are acid loving and have been thriving on Miracid.  I want to give my palm the correct type of food.

Thank you.
Geri

Answer
Hi Geri,

The value of plant food for indoor potted plants is vastly over stated. Indoors, plants are growing under less than ideal conditions and use nutrients in very minute quantities. It takes several years for nutrients to be depleted from plants grown in good potting mixes. Plant food is not medicine and cannot be used to improve plant health unless the plant has been diagnosed with a specific nutrient deficiency.

I cannot comment on your plants that have apparently thrived with Miracid. It may be that they are responding to improvements in your care, not the Miracid. If you let me know which species you have, I can tell you whether an acidic soil is warranted. Most common indoor plants, including Ponytail Palms should not be given Miracid.

If you are going to use plant food, for most indoor plants a 3-1-2 nitrogen-potassium- phosphorus ratio is best. In addition, the plant food should include minor and trace minerals listed on the label. Foliage Pro by Dyna Gro makes an excellent general fertilizer for indoor plants.

If you opt to add plant food, remember that more plants are damaged by excess fertilizer than from inadequate nutrients. The label directions are for healthy plants grown in ideal greenhouse conditions. Thus, it is best to dilute any plant food to half-strength and use it monthly only when the plant is healthy and growing vigorously.

Optimum light and proper watering are far more important to healthy growth than plant food.

I have written detailed articles on fertilizing and on Ponytail Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: <a href="http://www.HorticulturalHelp.com/">A link to HorticulturalHelp.com</

House Plants

Will Creed