House Plants/pregnant onion plant

I have 6 pregnant onion plants on my kitchen table.  2 bloom each year, the others are not big enough yet.  I have scale on them and can not seem to completely get rid of it.  I rub them down with alcohol when I see the scale but it always comes back.  I have it on a sansaverious leaf style plant too. I wash that down as well. Can I cut off all the leaves and expect the plant to grow new ones?  I would then cover the bulb in alcohol and replant in new soil. Should I just cry all the way to the compost heap and just start over with new bulbs and soil?  Thank you for responding.  I am just getting a but frustrated!! lol

I would like to suggest that there is a reason scale is attacking your plants. Scale and other insects usually attack stressed plants. Many imes it can be from the air around the plants being too dry but it can also be that you are watering the plants too much or too little. Those plants should feel very dry for at least 4 to 6 days before being watered again. Too much water will cause root rot and stress. I own both of these plants and in the summer I do not water them more often than every 10 days and in the winter not more often than every 14 to 20 days.

You can get rid of mealys but it takes persistance. I suggest you fill a windex or other spray bottle with rubbing alcohol. Then spray ecouple of months, ach plant thoroughly, making sure you get the fronts and backs of all the leaves, every 2 days for 2 weeks then every 3rd day for a week and after that at least twice a week for 3 months. Also make sure you also spray the surface of the soil with each spraying. They lay eggs in the soil or deep down between the leaves. When you wash them down and don't do it again in a couple of days those eggs hatch and reestablish themselves on your plant. If you do the spraying as I am suggesting it will kill the babies. They can stay dormant for a couple of months, that's why you have to continue the spraying for at least 3 months. If you have more questions feel free to write again. Don't give up! Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.