House Plants/Saddle Leaf Philodendron

Question
Philodendron
Philodendron  
Hello, I have a 40 plus year old Saddle Leaf Philodendron.  It is quite large and becoming difficult for my husband and me to move in and out for the seasons.  I would like to take it out of it's pot and cut the roots down and put it in a smaller pot.  Is it possible to do this without killing it and how do I do it?  Thank you very much.
Ledy

Answer
Hi Ledy,

It might be possible to prune back the roots of your Philodendron selloum, but it would be very difficult and it would likely require doing it again in a year or so. In addition, it would jeopardize the health of the plant if not done properly. So I do not recommend doing it.

The best way to keep the growth of your plant under control is to stop moving it outside in the warmer months. If you keep it inside, the growth rate will slow down and it can stay in the existing pot indefinitely. I think that is the best way to deal with your plant's being too big to move back and forth.

I have written a detailed article on Philodendron care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed