House Plants/corn plant

Question
we have had our corn plant for 35 year and prune it back regularly. this week the plant actually flowered (the first tome ever) they are an off white and extend about 2 feet. is this normal ,,I assume we should just prune but are amazed about this.

Answer
Hi Donald,

It is unusual, but not rare, for older Corn Plants to flower, as yours is. Typically, it happens with older plants that have been in the same pot and the same general location for a long time. Once the flowering starts, it often repeats annually and even twice annually thereafter as long as there are no significant changes in its environment or care.

The flowers are very sticky and have a very sweet odor that some people find cloying. The flower stem can be removed entirely at any time, but before the petals start to dry up and make a mess. Typically, flowers last a couple of weeks.

I have written a detailed article on Corn Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed