House Plants/Jade plant mealybugs

Question
I have a jade plant with those cottony webs all over in the junctures between leaves and branches.  The plant is otherwise healthy and growing, yet I have seen where growth is hindered by the webs.  I have read threads concerning this problem and have tried a dish soap/water mixture with a little success.  My issue is that the plant is huge compared to pics I have seen and the white nests are all over.  I took a nest and put it under the microscope to see little bugs moving etc.  Is there a more aggressive way to rid my "Roderick" of such trouble?  Thanks, Brandon

Answer
Hi Brandon,

Your Jade Plant has a serious mealybug infestation. The information you found is incomplete.

Mix a solution of 5 parts water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol and a squirt of liquid dish soap. Then you have to thoroughly spray ALL leaf and stem surfaces until they are entirely dripping wet with the solution. If you fail to make direct contact with even a few of the mealybugs, they will survive, reproduce and re-infest your Jade.

I have written detailed articles on treating indoor plant pests and on Jade Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed