House Plants/Need urgent help on this

Yesterday I went into the den where my mom has a vase that has artificial plants in it as well as eucalyptus branches.  When I got a real strong sniff of the eucalyptus branches I couldn’t catch my breath. We have had this vase with the above arrangement for a long time but I am wondering if the smell of the eucalyptus in the den which is located right next to my bedroom is causing my breathing problems.  

As soon as I got next to the eucalyptus today I couldn’t breathe. I took all the eucalyptus branches out of the vase and I am going to put the eucalyptus branches down the incinerator when I go out this afternoon.  I am also wondering can the eucalyptus branches can deteriorate and make the small worse and seep into other rooms that surround it.

Depends on where you live. Many people have allergic reactions to eucalyptus pollen. It is usually not a problem in the USA as they are not native to our area. You could also be allergic to whatever preservatives were used on the branches. Throw the vase and contents out just to be safe and see if things get better.
Good luck.
Rick in southern NJ USA

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ