House Plants/Rozalea Coral

I received this Rozalea plant 1 month ago in the hospital from my husband and grandson while having cancer surgery so it means the world to me. It came in a bucket with an insert inside with drainage holes. When I took out the insert there was about an inch of water sitting in the bucket. Now the leaves and flowers are brittle and falling off the plant like the entire plant is dead. Please tell me how I can save this beautiful plant.

Hi Pam,

I hope your cancer surgery was successful and you are recovering accordingly. I was also treated for cancer a couple of years ago.

If your Azalea has been sitting in water  for the better part of a month, then there is a good chance the roots have rotted and the plant will not recover. At best, many roots were damaged and recovery will be very slow and it is unlikely to ever look as good as it did originally. This is a fragile plant that does not tolerate improper light and watering very well.

Shake off and remove all dry leaves and flowers. Move it to a sunny windowsill. Make sure that all excess water has been removed from the bottom of the pot. Water it only when the top half inch of soil feels dry. Be very patient and look for signs of healthy new growth emerging from the tips of stems. If you do not see any new shoots within the next month or so, you can assume the plant is not going to recover. I hope it does, but your recovery is more important so don't stress out over the plant.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College