House Plants/rubber tree

Question
Hi Will,
I was wondering if I could start roots on a rubber tree plant? I cut off the top 6 in of the plant off (I was going to throw it a way because it looked so bad, but the top didn't) so I put them in water. Now I'm not sure what to do if any thing with them. If I could save it I would like to.  Thank you Kim

Answer
Hi Kim,

The best way to propagate a Rubber Tree cutting is by air-layering. However, that is only done before the tip cutting is severed from the main tree. Thus, it is not an option and I won't explain it here.

You have two options with your tip cutting - rooting it in water or rooting it in damp potting mix. The one you choose is more personal preference than anything else. Either way, be sure a "node" is in constant contact with water or damp soil. A node is the slightly raised ridge on the stem where a leaf stem was previously attached. When the node is kept moist, it will trigger new roots at that point.

If you root the tip cutting in water, change the water weekly, provide good light and wait until you have roots at least an inch long before moving the rooted cutting into a small pot filled with damp potting mix.

If you root the cutting in damp soil, provide good light, warm temps and keep the soil moderately damp at all times. If the soil is wet the fragile roots will rot. If the soil gets too dry, the fragile roots will shrivel and die. So proper soil moisture is critical.

I have written detailed articles on propagation and on Rubber Tree care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed