House Plants/White bird of paradise leaf issue

BoP leaves
BoP leaves  
I've owned this bird of paradise for a few months now. I bought it prepotted in a well drained pot from The Home Depot. I live in Southern California and the plant stays on my patio. It is getting plenty of morning sun and is shaded in the hot afternoon. I do not see any pests, but it looks like something is eating the leaves. Help!!

That could be damage from rabbits, mice or voles, or even birds. Grasshoppers can also cause damage and would disappear when you appear. You might visit some nurseries in your area and discuss the problem with them. They probably have the same problem occasionally and could suggest a solution. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.