House Plants/White bird of paradise leaves turning brown

Bird of paradise
Bird of paradise  

I've owned this bird of paradise for a few months now. I bought it prepotted in a well drained pot from The Home Depot. I live in Southern California and the plant stays on my patio. It is getting plenty of morning sun and is shaded in the hot afternoon. I do not see any pests, but it looks like something is eating the leaves. Help!!

Hi Devyn,

That looks like normal leaf cracking and splitting that occurs with White Birds. The leaves split easily because otherwise their broad leaves become wind foils and might cause the plant to uproot and topple over. When kept indoors, this is much less likely to occur.

Any leaves that look unsightly can be pruned or trimmed off without harm to the rest of the plant.

Be sure to keep the soil good and moist when you have it outside in warm temperatures, bight light and good air circulation, all of which have a drying effect. Excessive drying can also cause leaf splitting and cracking.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College