House Plants/Bird of Paradise indoors

Hi, I just want to know what causes the brand new leaves of BOP to open up only half way....otherwise look healthy green & big....plenty of light no brown edges or anything else.  Leaves very tall just like rest of plant.  Thank you Dar

Hi Dar,

It is quite common for emerging B of P leaves to get stuck while trying to unfurl. Allowing the soil to get a bit too dry and low humidity are two common causes of this phenomenon. When the still furled leaf emerges, it can help if you spray that unfurled leaf with a slightly soapy solution of water. Be sure you are not letting the soil get too dry and increase the humidity, if possible.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College