House Plants/bougainvillea changing colour

Question
I had a potted red colour bbougainvillea with variegated leaves.As soon as I planted it in ground it has changed its colour to purple.I have given it the same amount of sunlight and water.can I add anything to the soil to get its original colour.kindly reply at the earliest.thank you.

Answer
Hi Asif,

Most all Bougainvilleas that are grown in pots in nurseries are hybrids and they are quite fragile. For that reason it is not generally a good idea to plant them in the ground. Even repotting is not a good idea. It is best to keep them in their original pots and place them outside in light shade, but not direct sun.

I am not familiar with your local climate, but my educated guess is that it is the increase in light intensity that has caused the flowers to change color. Outdoor light is many times more intense than indoor light even though it may appear the same to our eyes.

Exposure to much colder temps can also cause flower color change.

There are no soil additive or other instant fix for flower color. You may be confusing this with Hibiscus that do change color depending on the acidity of the soil. Stability of environment is what Bougainvillea requires.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed