House Plants/broken branch

Question
Tree
Tree  
I broke a branch off of my 3 foot indoor tree and I want you know if it can be fixed and don't laugh but I don't even know what kind of tree it is!can you please help me I am so opposite of green when it comes to "a green thumb".

Answer
Hi Sarah,

Your tree is a Dracaena marginata, sometimes called Dragon Tree.

Unfortunately, broken stems cannot be repaired or grafted. You can try to propagate it, but it is not easy. You would have to set the cut end of the top section in a small pot with damp potting soil. Then, put the pot and plant inside of a large clear plastic bag that you blow up and seal tightly. This will create a mini-greenhouse and after a couple of months, new roots will have formed and you will be able to remove the plastic "tent."

The good news is that new leaf growth is likely to emerge on the lower section of the broken stem and grow upward from there replacing the part that broke off. This will happen automatically.

I have written detailed articles on plant propagation and on Dracaena marginata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed