House Plants/fica leaves

Question
Should dead fica leaves be cleared from the potted fica's soil?

Answer
Hi Dianna,

In general, it is best to remove dead leaves from the soil of any potted plant or tree. Outdoors, leaves will break down into soil over time due to exposure to weather, bacteria and insects. But that doesn't happen indoors so there is no reason to keep the dead leaves around.
In fact, dead leaves occasionally will atract insect pests or provide a place for them to hide and breed.

So go ahead and remove all dead leaves and dispose of them. It will make the plant look neater. If you don't like the appearance of the soil, you can cover it lightly with Spanish moss as a top dressing.

As I am sure you know, Ficus trees drop lots of leaves (more when they don't get enough light, are relocated or not watered properly). Each time you water, grab the trunk and give it a vigorous shake. Any loose leaves that are likely to fall in the next several days will come down. I find it easier to pick up a bunch of leaves all at once rather than  a few every day.

I have a written detailed article on Ficus care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed