I got a piece of an arrowhead vine from a friend and cut it and put it in water but it hasn't sprouted any new roots yet-it's been a month. How is it propagated?

Hi Bernard,

There are several different plants that are commonly called "Arrowhead." I suggest that you either post a photo of your cutting here or email it to my address below so we can properly identify it.

I will make an educated guess that yours is a Syngonium. If so, the cutting must have at least one node that is kept under water at all times. A node is the slightly raised bump on a stem where the leaf stem attaches to the main stem. When in constant contact with water or damp soil, a node will gradually swell and produce roots. This usually takes at least a month and could take as much as three months to produce viable roots that are at least an inch long.

Possible causes for lack of root development include a non-viable cutting, allowing the node to become dry even for a short time, and very poor light. Otherwise, change the water once per week and be patient.

I have written a detailed article on plant propagation that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College