House Plants/Black bugs on Ponytail Palm plant

QUESTION: I have these tiny black, crawling bugs down inside the leaves of my huge ponytail palm.  I can't find out what they are and how to get rid of them, hopefully eco friendly!  thanks.....don't want to loose my plant

Do you keep your Ponytail Palm indoors or outdoors?

QUESTION: Outdoors on my screened in porch.  I live in Port Richey, FL, just north of Clearwater.

Hi Julie,

I have never seen "tiny black crawling bugs" on a Ponytail Palm that is kept indoors. Ponytails can attract white mealybugs; dark brown scale insects that do not crawl; and black flying fungus gnats. I suspect what you are seeing is some insect pest that is indigenous to your local area that, as an indoor plant expert, I have no experience with.

~Will Creed  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College