House Plants/Chritmas Cactus

Hello, I have two Christmas cactus and they are currently producing flower buds. If I recall correctly, these are supposed to be holiday blooming plants that bloom around Christmas. Is this normal for my plants to be blooming now? Is there anything I need to do?

Hi Victor,

Normally, greenhouse growers time their Holiday Cacti to come into bloom anytime from Thanksgiving until Christmas. There are also some varieties that come into bloom closer to Easter. That is why I refer to them as Holiday Cacti.

The conditions that determine bloom time are cool temperatures and 12 hours of total darkness each day for about 8 weeks prior to bud set. To the degree you can manipulate these factors, you can control the timing of the flowers. I recommend keeping holiday Cacti outside in the fall away from indoor lighting and in temperatures that drop close to freezing. That is usually sufficient to set buds in time for the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

When left to their own devices these plants can bloom at almost anytime and that is what has happened with yours. It is not a cause for concern. Once buds form, it is important to disturb the plant as little as possible. That means no repotting or fertilizing and do not relocate it or even rotate it in place. Just continue to water it, but otherwise leave it alone until the first buds start to open. Then, the plant can be moved to a location where you can best enjoy the flower show.

I have written a detailed and definitive article on the care of Holiday Cacti that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College