House Plants/damage spider plant leaves

Hi Will  I have a spider plant that was too close to the window shade and when I opened it, it was damaging the leaves.  now that I moved it I notices the damage. some broken leaves, some broken off, some missing, just not looking good on that side of the plant. I was thinking maybe I should cut off all the leaves so the plants starts over (is this a bad idea?) or should I try something else?  thank-you kim

Hi Kim,

You could trim off all the leaves and start the plant anew, but that is an extreme remedy and not necessarily the best one because I assume you still have at least half the plant that is undamaged and looks good.

Individual damaged leaves will not recover, so it is best to trim them back or completely off, whichever looks better. Keep that side of the plant facing the primary light source so it has the best opportunity to grow back in. In the interim, the undamaged side of the plant should continue to grow. Eventually, the new growth on the damaged side will catch up with the undamaged side and the plant will look symmetric. However, this will take some time.

If you post a photo here or email one to my address below, I may be able to provide more specific recommendations.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College