House Plants/Pachira Aquatica Leaves turning Yellow

I bought this plant from Ikea on Saturday and brought it home that night in the cold to see that the smaller baby leaves have turned a yellowish brown color and was wilting.  I watered it that night thinking it was lacking water.  However it is Monday and the plant leaves have continued to turn yellowish brown starting from the outer edges of the leaves first and are beginning to dry up. It is placed about 3 ft from a big window so I'm not sure what is wrong with it.  The trunks and stems look pretty healthy.  Please help.

Hi Hlee,
  I apologize for the delay in answering your question.
I was not familiar with plants from Ikea so I did a little research about it. From what I found,plants bought from Ikea are usually healthy and generally stay healthy. So they are not known for selling unhealthy plants (Some grocery stores and some home improvement stores are notorious for selling unhealthy plants and/or selling plants that are infested with insects )

From the picture you sent it looks like the leaves have a lot of cold damage. For a lot of plants it doesn't take very long for them to get damaged from being exposed to cold temperatures.
As long as the trunk and stems are healthy and the plant receives proper care, the leaves will grow back eventually.
Money Tree plants can also be damaged by hot or cold drafts.
Keep your plant away from heat/AC vents and cold drafts from windows or doorways.

Money Tree plants require bright indirect sunlight, so where you have the plant right now should be fine.

Proper watering is important for Money tree plants. Water the plant thoroughly, until water comes out the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot, then allow the top 1-2 inches to dry out between waterings. Avoid getting water on the trunk, which can cause stem rot.
I recommend using distilled water. A lot of plants are sensitive to the fluoride, chlorine and hard water deposits found in most tap water.

Money Tree plants also need lots of humidity. Lack of humidity (and low light levels) will cause the leaves to become brown and crispy.
One way to raise the humidity around a plant place the plant on a tray of pebbles filled halfway with water. Be sure that the bottom of the pot is not sitting in the water as this will cause the soil to stay too wet.
Another way to raise the humidity is to group several plants together.
Plants give off moisture into the air around them. The moisture given off by each of the plants will help to raise the humidity around the whole group.
I have found that regular light misting helps also.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need additional information please don't hesitate to ask.

House Plants

I am knowledgeable and experienced (professionally) in the care of many different kinds of houseplants as well as the pests and diseases common to houseplants. I have had a lot of experience and success with most propagation techniques. I am also knowledgeable and experienced with artificial lighting for plants. I can answer questions about all aspects of 'indoor gardening'. Not only questions about growing foliage plants and starting seeds under artificial plant lighting but also questions about artificial plant light system set up, supplemental artificial lighting and cost. ~ I can help identify plants accurately ONLY if you submit a picture of the plant with your question.~

I usually always have at least 70 houseplants at all times. I have done extensive research, education and have over 20 years of experience with houseplants, indoor gardening, interior landscaping and artificial plant lighting. About 30% of my houseplants are grown exclusively under artificial plant lighting. Many of the other houseplants that are growing in natural light are also given supplemental lighting using artificial plant light. I have 5 complete artificial plant light systems that I designed and built.

I have written extensively about plants, all aspects of houseplant care, indoor gardening and artificial plant lighting. I have written many informational blogs, articles and 'plant care guides' for many websites, forums and some online horticultural communities.

I have knowledge and experience on the care of houseplants, the different kinds of houseplants, pests and diseases common to houseplants, indoor gardening/landscaping and artificial plant lighting.