House Plants/coral cacti

Question
my stem is molding is there anyway to cut above the rot and plant the top into soil? If so what type of soil?

Thank you
Pam Onion

Answer
Hi Pam,

You can use a sharp knife to make a clean cut above the rotted section of the Coral Cactus. Let the cutting dry in the open air for about 24 hours. Use a cactus potting mix that is intended exclusively for Cacti. Do NOT use a Miracle-Gro mix that says it can be used for Cacti and Palms and Citrus. If you cannot find a good Cactus-only potting mix, then mix two parts of peat moss with one part perlite to make your own porous potting mix. Use a terra cotta pot that is 6-inches or less in diameter. Insert the cutting about an inch deep into the pot. Provide lots of warmth and sunlight for best results.

I have written a detailed article on plant propagation that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed