House Plants/jasmine plant

Question
Hi Tracy,we just bought a Jasmine plant (vine type i think), on a recent trip to Florida.We live in Ohio.The plant was very healthy looking, but now it is dropping its leaves though the vine is still growing and looks healthy with out leaves of coarse.I thought maybe the colder temps,indoors and trama of moving.Is there anything we can do for it?thank you Rhonda

Answer
Hi Rhonda,
  Sorry for the delay in answering your question, I have been having some computer problems.
You are on the right track thinking that the stress of the new environment and being moved indoors is affecting the plant. Another thing I have noticed is that plants that come from nurseries in Florida and sold in the northern states like Ohio and Indiana are often stressed due to the change in sunlight too.

The best thing you can do for the plant is water it properly and put it in a place where it will get plenty of bright, indirect sunlight. For watering, it is best to allow the top 1-2 inches of soil to dry between watering then water just enough for a small amount of water to drain out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot.

Another thing to do is to make sure there are no insects or spider mites on the plant. Even a small population of insects or mites can do serious damage to an already stressed plant. Also stressed plants are more prone to insects and spider mites.
I always spray new plants with a homemade spray just in case there are a few insects or spider mites I don't see. I just put distilled water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle and thoroughly spray the plant (Be sure to get the undersides of the leaves).

It takes a plant about a month or so to adjust to a new environment. If you want to, you can prune back the stems that have lost all of their leaves. This will encourage new growth.
Avoid giving the plant any fertilizer for at least 1-2 months or until the plant is producing lots of new growth.Fertilizer should only be given to healthy plants that are actively growing. Fertilizer will not ' cure' an unhealthy plant and will actually cause more harm.
When you do fertilize, any well balanced fertilizer is fine to use. I like liquid fertilizers best. I usually recommend using 1/3 of the amount called for in the directions on the package. Dilute 1 part liquid fertilizer to 2 parts distilled water. Be sure to never fertilize a plant when the soil is dry. This could cause the plant to take up too much fertilizer at once. Also avoid using fertilizer sticks. There a risk of damaging delicate roots when the stick is pressed into the soil. When plant food sticks start to melt they can create chemical ' hot spots' causing damage to roots that come into contact with these spots.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need additional information please don't hesitate to ask.
     Thanks
       Tracy  

House Plants

Tracy