House Plants/mushrooms in my bonsai

My youngest son passed away in October and my cousin wasn't able to make it to the funeral because she was still in Afghanistan. She sent me this beautiful bonsai tree  instead of flowers because of course they die within a few days or so and I was already suffering a terrible loss, she figured the tree would last for years and years. Well I went to check on my bonsai today and found two mushrooms along the side of the pot. Please please please tell me how to get rid of it before my tree dies. I saw in a previous search that if not treated immediately it could cause severe damage and kill the tree/plant. I would be devastated if that happened. Please help me save it? Thank you.

Here is the best way to care for indoor bonsai plants.
Water by weight. Water and let the plant sit for a few minutes. Pick up or lean the pot. It should feel heavy. Don't water again until it feels considerably lighter in weight. Indoors check it every 3-10 days. Watering frequency depends on many factors(type of plant,light exposure, temps, humidity, etc.). Spray mist the foliage once a week.
Plants are killed by too frequent waterings (or allowed to stay too dry too long) - Not from how much water you give them at one time. Soak and let them dry out somewhat in between waterings. Sounds like your plant has been kept too wet and the soil is too acidic...remove the mushrooms and trash them. Start watering by weight.
Most indoor tropical plants require you to add fertilize on a weekly to monthly basis during the growing season. Visit your local garden center (not chain store) and see what they recommend for your particular plant.

Hope this helps...
Good luck...
Let me know what you think.
Rick in southern NJ

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ