House Plants/Pet safe plants

I got a Sago Palm King at walmart a few days ago.

(I really liked the fact that it was so ancient!)

Then I learned that it would be deadly to my dog and cat, so I had to give it away.

My question is:

Do you know of any pet-safe, ancient house plants that would be good for a med-light house?

Hi Miriam,

Very few pets would want to nibble on sharp, leathery Sago Palm leaves. I suggest you go to the ASPCA website below to find a list of safe plants:

"Ancient-looking" plants is very subjective but usually limited to plants in the Cycad family. There are many plants that do well in primarily bright indirect light, but people have different definitions of "medium light." In general, medium light would be no more than 6 feet from the nearest uncovered window.

~Will Creed  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College