House Plants/rooting a Jesus in the manger plant

Question
My friend who was 82 years old just died and she has 2- 5 foot tall Jesus in the manger plants.her son gave me a clipping of the plant. I would like to know how to root it.she has had these plants for 28 years. Thank you so much for your expertise.    Mary

Answer
Hi Mary,

Jesus or Christ or Baby in the Manger and Night-blooming Cereus are common names for an Epiphyllum species. It is noted for its spectacular, large flowers with wonderful aroma. Individual flowers open and close all within the course of a single night.

Leaf cuttings should be inserted upright about an inch deep into a small terra cotta pot filled with a porous potted mix that drains easily. Keep it in a warm, sunny location and water lightly as soon as the surface of the potting mix gets dry. Be patient as it will take a month or more for roots to emerge and many more months for the roots to fill the pot. It will then take several years or more of maturity before it will be ready to flower. Keep it tightly potted and resist all urges to hasten the process by repotting or over fertilizing.

I have written detailed articles on plant propagation and on Epiphyllum care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed