House Plants/spathiphyllum

Question
This isn't really a question/ but last weekend I saw a Peace Lily (spathiphyllum) in a store window which had both white lilies growing in addition to two (2) GREEN-colored lilies! I am no expert, but was quite surprised to see this. I have never seen peace lilies grow with both white and green lilies. The green ones were mature and healthy looking, just like the whites. Was just curious if this was a phenomenon or what? Very interesting, and beautiful! Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Patricia,

What you observed is actually quite common. Many Peace Lilies produce white flowers that turn green as they age. Others produce white flowers initially, but green flowers subsequently. Flower color is a product of hybridization. Most Peace Lilies are hybrids that are bred to produce a flush of white flowers at point-of-sale at the expense of continued production of white flowers.

I have written detailed articles on Peace Lily care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed