House Plants/Growing a pineapple

Hi, Will,

I have been trying to get the top of a pineapple to root in water, and after some weeks I think it finally is. The roots are about 1/2 inch long right now how long should they be before I transfer it to a potting medium/perlite mix? Thanks so much!

Hi Nancy,

The roots should be at least an inch or more long. Then, put it into a 4 or 6-inch clay pot using a damp soilless, peat-based potting mix. Water thoroughly whenever the top inch of soil feels dry. Gradually increase the light so that it ends up on a sunny windowsill.

Pineapple plants do best in direct sun and warm temperatures (above 60 degrees). If you move yours outside in the summer, introduce it to direct sun gradually over the course of several weeks. You can increase the chances of flowering by keeping it quite potbound in a peat-based potting mix. Water thoroughly whenever the top inch of soil feels dry. Fertilize regularly at half strength when it is in good light and growing vigorously.

I have written a detailed article on Pineapples and other members of the Bromeliad plant family that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College