House Plants/Marginata Plant

Question
How do I get a trunk on my Marginata Dracaena? Most I have seen have a tall stem or trunk and mine you cannot see and it is about 18inches from soil to top of plant. Do  I need to pull off bottom leaves to get the trunk started? Help Thanks

Answer
Belinda,

The trunk is already there. You an remove some of the lower leaves to reveal the trunk but do not remove more than about 40% of the leaves, not quite half. The leaves usually fall off during the winter when the plant is not getting as much light or because the heat is on and it doesn't like really dry air. In a year with some regular fertilizer and lots of sun it will grow about 12 inches. You just need to be a bit patient. It is a plant that you can love for a long time. Just be sure to not water it until it is very dry. In nature they grow and get very old at the edges of deserts. Good luck!

Darlene

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle