House Plants/Marginata Plant

How do I get a trunk on my Marginata Dracaena? Most I have seen have a tall stem or trunk and mine you cannot see and it is about 18inches from soil to top of plant. Do  I need to pull off bottom leaves to get the trunk started? Help Thanks

The trunk is already there. You an remove some of the lower leaves to reveal the trunk but do not remove more than about 40% of the leaves, not quite half. The leaves usually fall off during the winter when the plant is not getting as much light or because the heat is on and it doesn't like really dry air. In a year with some regular fertilizer and lots of sun it will grow about 12 inches. You just need to be a bit patient. It is a plant that you can love for a long time. Just be sure to not water it until it is very dry. In nature they grow and get very old at the edges of deserts. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.