House Plants/cactus problems

I bought my mom a cactus for my mother when my sister was born 35 years ago.  Since then I have transplanted it three times, each time it had substantial growth spurts.  It probably is about four feet or so.  Problem, it's getting top heavy.  I'm not sure what type of cactus it is but it grows straight up and branches from the main bottom limb.  Do you have any suggestions to strengthen the bottom so it can support the rest?

It would help to have a picture of the plant...You may need to drive a stake in the ground next to the base of the plant to support the leaning problem...After 30+ years the damage has already been done...It's too late to change its' growth pattern...All you can do is help support the weight problem...
Sorry I can't be more positive...

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ