House Plants/corn houseplant

my plant is more than 12 ft. long, it is getting too big for my house. It is blocking the hand rail, and we have three old people living at this home.

I would like to cut it in smaller pieces, and re-pot them to get it off of the stairs.  My husband has had this plant for over 30 years, and is affraid that if I cut it, it will die.

Please give me some idea what to do to save this plant from breaking or dying.

Hi Nancy,

It is quite easy to prune back your Dracaena and pruning it will not harm it in any way.

I suggest that you use sharp pruners to cut off the longest stem that is hanging over the stair rail. Cut off approximately 3 to 4 feet or however much you want to remove. New growth will emerge on that cut stem starting just below the pruning cut and grow slowly upward from there.

The top cutting can be shortened further to about two feet and rooted in its own small pot or simply inserted in the base of the existing pot so that you will have two stems in the pot and some growth at the base.

I have written detailed articles on pruning and on Corn Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College