House Plants/Putting hibiscus outdoors.

Hi, I really like this site.
I have two hibiscus plants in pots.  One is on it's third year and the other is only a year old.  I winter them indoors and put them out in the spring.  Is it too early too put them outside.  I know not to put them in direct sun just yet but because it only reachs about 14-18 degrees through the day and 2-9 degrees at night.  I live in Walters Falls, Onartio, zone 5-5a

I live in northern Indiana. I just put my hibiscus outside today. You have to wait until the nighttime temperatures are going to stay above 10 degrees centigrade as the lowest every night. If you put it outdoors earlier than that it will damage flower buds and you will not have as many flowers this summer. Once temps stay above 10 at night aand get up to 20 or above during the day it is safe. Good luck!

PS I am glad you like the site.

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.