House Plants/pony tail palms

Question
I have a pony tail palm in a pot. It's about 4 feet high. I was thinking of planting it in the ground here in Brevard county, Florida. From your answer to Lindsey a while back, should I forget if?

Answer
Hi Herman,

A Ponytail Palm can probably survive your winters there in Florida, although few other places in the US are warm enough.

The primary problem is adjustment to light. If your potted Ponytail was grown in a shaded nursery, then it would have a hard time acclimating to direct outdoor sun, although it would do okay in light shade outside. Finally, Ponytail Palms are native to Mexico where the soil is thin and sandy and the climate is dry. You would have to have similar soil conditions in the ground if you were to plant it outdoors. I am not familiar with rainfall in your area, but if it is at all damp at times during the year, then root rot could occur.

Check with a local nursery or landscaping company to see if Ponytails do well in your specific area.

I have written a detailed article on indoor Ponytail Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed