House Plants/rubber plant

Hi, I have a problem with my rubber plant or maybe I should say plants.I rooted several starts from a dying plant a few years ago.They all took and were looking healthy all in the same large pot. Now several of them are bending over. I thought they needed support because they were too tall but even a little short guy is falling over. What's going on with my tipping plants? They don't seem to be having much root support. Thank you so much for addressing this question.

Hi jj,

One of the many important functions of roots is to support the plant and keep it upright. If the root system is weak or dying, the stems lose their support. Even worse, the roots lose their ability to absorb moisture and nutrients from the soil and ultimately that is fatal to the plant.

You mentioned that the Rubber Plant cuttings are together in a large pot. The preferred method is to root cuttings in individual very small pots. After each has developed a healthy root system, they can then be moved into a pot just large enough for all of them to fit into together.

The difficulty with large pots is that the abundant soil stays moist for too long and causes root systems to slowly rot. I suspect that is why your cuttings are now falling over. If you gently remove them from the pot, you probably find very few healthy roots. If you do, I suggest potting them up individually as I described above.

I have written detailed articles on propagation techniques and on Rubber Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College