House Plants/Type of Palm

Question
I don't know the name of my house plant. It has stalks the color of eggplant or deep purple. It's  leaves are large and green on top and the veins are prominent on the bottom..I believe it's a type of Palm. When the leaves grow, they roll out like a cigar. The stalks have been bending, almost cracking in half and an not sure why. How often am I to water it and why are they dying?

Answer
Maria,

The Purple King Palm Tree, scientific name Archontophoenix purpurea,is as you describe but it is a large palm tree and not a small house plant. Whatever your plant is it sounds like you may be watering it too much. I can only identify it properly with a picture. Send one to plantlady6@yahoo.com. Put palm picture in the subject. I will do my best to figure it out.

Darlene

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle