House Plants/Philodendron oxycardium

Question
Hi I was wandering during night time hrs if a tv light or a 25 wt bulb about 4 ft away and the tv is about 8 ft away if it would trigger photothinses or disturb it in any way? I heard anything brighter then moonlight affects them is that true? Thanks for your time and effort.

Answer
Hi Cynthia,

No indoor artificial lighting will adversely affect your Philodendron. In fact, some kinds of artificial lights will actually increase photosynthesis and cause the plant to grow a bit faster.

However, I think I understand the cause of the confusion. There are certain flowering plants, such as Poinsettias and Christmas Cacti, that do require completely dark nights for 6-8 weeks in the fall in order to set flower buds. But those flowering plants are very exceptional and light at night is not a problem for the vast majority of indoor plants.

So go ahead and watch TV at night and don't worry about harming your Philodendron!

I have written detailed articles on lighting and on Philodendron care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed