House Plants/Plant care

Hi Will I use 100% natural tea that I spray on the leaves of plants and I was wondering if its good for them and if it is good how much do I use and how often? Thanks for help.

Hi Cynthia,

There are hundreds of different kinds of tea, so I can only reply generally. Some teas may help clean your plants or possibly add a bit of shine to them. Tea will not increase humidity. Although some teas may include some minerals that plants require, most potted plants feed through their roots, not their leaves. In addition, there is no way to determine the mineral composition of particular tea and just how concentrated they are. The fact that the tea is all natural is irrelevant to the plant.

It is possible that some teas could include substances that might damage tender leaves of some plant, but that is, admittedly, unlikely.

Soap and water do just fine as leaf cleaners and as long as a plant is potted in proper soil, there is no need to try to feed them through their leaves. Using teas and other household foods and products for plants has popular appeal, but no real benefit. Stick with the basics.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College