House Plants/plant nutrients

Question
Hi Will I use liquid fertilizer. I use Seachem flourish and Kent marine pro plant also I put In 3% hydrogen proxide (half teaspoon) and mix it in 1 gallon of water then water the plants. I was wandering if these provided all the essential nutrients and vitamins? Thanks for your time

Answer
Hi Cynthia,

Seachem Flourish and Kent Marine are formulated for use with aquarium plants. I do not recommend either for non-aquarium plants. Hydrogen peroxide is another household product that appeals to people, but has no proven benefits for plants.

Indoor plants use nutrients in very minute quantities and I have yet to solve a plant problem by adding nutrients. Fertilizing is greatly misunderstood and the benefits are over sold by the manufacturers. If your plants are not doing well, I can assure you that plant food will not solve the problem. I wish it were that easy, but it is not. Focus on light and water for your plants, not fertilizer and humidity.

If you feel obligated to use plant food, use the cheapest commercial product available and dilute it one-quarter of the recommended dose. At that dilution, it will not do any harm, even if it provides few if any benefits.

I have written a detailed article on fertilizer that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed