House Plants/Philodendron Damaging Drywall

Hi Darlene,

I have a medium sized Philodendron that is outgrowing its pot and trying to climb the drywall in my hallway.  It is really digging into the drywall and damaging it.  Is this plant that I should move, trim or move outside?

Thank you for your help and expertise.

I would suggest that you either move it outdoors to a shady location or start pruning off any vines that start climbing the wall. You can check it daily and keep it off the wall.  It cannot be moved outside permanently. It is a tropical plant and needs to be taken in when the night temperatures in your area start dropping below 10 degrees centigrade or 50 degrees farenheit. It is a plant that can stand to be rootbound. Only move it to a larger pot if you want it to grow larger. If you want it to stay the same size you can keep it in the same pot safely for 20 years and prune it back regularly. If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.