House Plants/Aechmea Primera

A friend of mine bought me this beautiful plant. However, the pink flower has died and there is one (I guess it's called a PUP) on the one side of the first plant.
My question is; will that beautiful flower grow back again or does this plant only bloom once? There's nothing left but those large stems and it's been that way for quite awhile. I keep it watered and the directions say to make sure to keep water between the leaves... Should I pull the original plant out since it has no flower or will another flower grow back? I have never seen just a unique plant like this and would love to see the flower bloom again :) Please, let me know if their is anything more I need to do and if the flower will grow back. Thanks

Hi Faith,

Your Aechmea is in the Bromeliad family of plants and grows differently than most potted plants.

Aechmea flowers last longer than most, up to 3-4 months in good conditions. Then, the flower dies naturally. It is best to cut off the entire flower stem once the flower had faded. Each plant flowers only once and then slowly over the course of a year or more the plant itself dies. However, that is not the end of the story!

In the interim, the plant produces pups or offsets or baby plantlets at its base. These pups will grow taller as the "mother" plant gradually dies back. The pups can be severed from the main plant and moved into their own separate small pots. However, they can also be left as is and that is what I recommend because it is easier. Given the right conditions and as much as 3 to 4 years, the pups may mature and produce flowers of their own. Because it takes so long, most folks either discard the plant after the initial bloom or they keep the plant as a foliage plant.

The common instructions about keeping water in the vase formed by the leaves is out-of-date and inappropriate for potted Bromeliads kept indoors. The water may stagnate and cause the leaves to rot. It is best to supply water by watering the soil thoroughly whenever the top half inch of spoil feels very dry.

Bromeliads must be kept potbound, so resist the temptation to repot it. Leave it in that pot as long as you have it.

Finally, 2-4 hours of direct indoor sunlight with very bright indirect sun the rest of the day is best for your Aechmea.

I have written a detailed article on Bromeliad care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College