House Plants/Fiddle fig tree

Question
Hi there,

I have a small fiddle fig tree that looked perfect when I left for work at noon today, 12 hours later, the leaves are shriveled up and dry, and there are brown spots. Leaves are not loose, is this sunburn? I'm in Los Angeles and we have had a heat wave for the past few days. My tree is right in front of a window.

Answer
Hi Holly,

Both high temps above 90 degrees F. and too much direct sunlight can cause the symptoms you described. During those conditions it is also very important to keep the tree very well hydrated.

Already damaged leaves will not regain their green color, so you may want to remove them if they are unsightly. I also suggest that you move your Ficus lyrata back about 6 feet from the window or move it off to the side. Try to keep temps as cool as possible and make sure you water thoroughly as soon as the top half inch of soil feels dry.

I have written a detailed article on Ficus lyrata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed