House Plants/Pest prevention

Where do root aphids come from?

Hi Jamie,

Root aphids do not occur with plants that are normally grown indoors as houseplants. I know that pot plants are often grown indoors under lights and are a common source of root aphids, but they are not considered to be houseplants. If that is your issue, I suggest you go to a different forum.

The larvae of these critters live in the soil. Houseplants are normally potted in sterile, soil-less potting mixes so root aphids are not a common problem. As soon as you use soil-based potting mixes, you are asking for pest problems. So the best preventative, is to use sterile peat or coir based potting mixes.

Finally, the larvae require constantly damp decaying organic matter to thrive. Thus, if you keep the upper quarter of the soil very dry, this will help deter the spread of these critters.

I have written detailed articles on indoor plant pests that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College